- Shop All
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- By Grape
Jancis Robinson visits Specialist Cellars
New Zealand Wine – Beyond Sauvignon Blanc
New Zealand has become synonymous with Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir over the last decade. Whilst managing to retain our premium reputation, most are unaware of the resounding success that New Zealand conveys with the exploration of ‘other’ varietals.
Testament to a wine industry built and developed with new world energy and flair, the wines we collated for the special tasting at Pop Brixton on Thursday 28th June 2018 are just a few that we believe convey New Zealand’s premium winemaking ability as we look beyond Sauvignon and Pinot. I’m sure you’ll agree this is an incredibly exciting time for New Zealand wine.
Who is Jancis Robinson to me?
If you didn’t know, Jancis is considered my Wine Queen! From an early age Jancis inspired me with her countless books, charming wit and undeniable passion for wine. Her tasting notes, journals and articles gave me just the inspiration I needed to realise my love for my home country and the wines that are produced in New Zealand. She continues (with an amazing team of wine experts) to provide intuitive and insightful articles that has formed the foundation of my knowledge and expertise. She is a Master of Wine, (There are 370 Masters of Wine today, working in 29 countries) A wine critic, and the author of The Oxford Companion to wine, she is a legend in the wine world, you can only imagine my excitement when she agreed to enter our 20ft container of New Zealand wine glory and she agreed to taste 24 wines personally selected by me! Totally Epic!
Read the full article on Ft.com (you’ll need a subscription) or for free on jancisrobinson.com.
Jancis said her standout wine was the 2016 Black Estate Home Chardonnay
For the full list of wines Jancis tried see below:
- Kumeu River Pinot Gris 2016 Auckland
- Millton, Riverpoint Viognier 2015 Gisborne
- Bellbird Spring, Home Block White aromatic blend 2015 North Canterbury
- Greywacke Riesling 2015 Marlborough
- Dog Point Chardonnay 2014 Marlborough
- Trinity Hill Marsanne/Viognier 2016 Hawkes Bay
- Seresin Estate, Reserve Chardonnay 2015 Marlborough
- Ata Rangi Pinot Gris 2017 Wairarapa
- Black Estate, Home Chardonnay 2016 North Canterbury
- Burn Cottage Riesling/Grüner Veltliner 2015 Central Otago
- Churton Petit Manseng sweet 2015 Marlborough
Seifried Zweigelt 2014 Nelson
Craggy Range, Single Vineyard Syrah 2016 Hawkes Bay
Giesen, Clayvin Syrah 2012 Marlborough